Monday, August 24, 2009

Thursday we loaded up, and leaving at 4:30 sharp, we headed out to Lafayette Indiana. Home of the Subaru of America plant, the birth place of Simi's Legacy as well as the home of Purdue University. It was about 3 1/2 hours and an uneventful drive. About an hour to go, we spotted rain, and the last bit of the drive was a steady down pour. We arrived, and searched out a dinner, which ended up being a subpar visit to Chilis. Checked in the Hampton, and called it a night. Up at 7 on Saturday and a 5 minute drive to the Subaru Plant. The course was setup by the Indy region's club of volunteers. 89 Subarus showed to compete, and probably a dozen more to spectate.

The course was the exact same as last year, and was told the same as the year before. Changed tires, slapped on the magnetic numbers, and were ready to go. Simi ran in the ladies group first thing in the morning. She did well, and the car seemed happy. I ran the afternoon session with a slight drizzle, but times were dropping. My group was 45 cars, with 10 in my STU class, and the rest all running Street Mod. All the Street Mod guys were annoyed with my times some 5-6 seconds faster than theirs, yet I'm running my car at stock boost levels. I saw some old friends, and chatted and after our group was done we all had lunch. Subaru brought in make your own deli sandwiches, pasta salad, potato salad, fruit, and cookies. It was pretty good.

Post lunch, my group was already gridded so we ran again. My times in the morning session were getting chiseled away, so I had to go faster as well. I chipped down 3/10ths quicker on my final run, but found the morning session already secured the class win. Switch over to Simi's group, and she proved to be one of the fastest in her group. All said and done, the awards were given out, and Simi won the Ladies Challenge. An excellent effort, winning back to back. I won my class and finished second overall, beaten out by a former National Champion from Toledo. He's always fast. First place overall received a Subaru bar stool, and R/C car.

Simi drove home Saturday night, and we arrived around 9pm. We left the car untouched, trailer attached, and resting in the driveway. Sunday we slept in until 10am, then proceeded to make French toast and omelets. We watched Formula One practice, qualifying, and the race. Simi took an afternoon nap and I watched more racing on TV. Sunday night I worked on repacking the trailer's bearings, and cleaning up, and putting everything away. Simi cleaned house, and her sister and college roommate came over for pizza and salad for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment